Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

My mom used to always make us kids green Cream of Wheat for St. Patrick's Day. I decided to carry on the green tradition for breakfast and dinner!

For breakfast I made spinach scrambled eggs and avocado on toast. It was delicious!
Spinach Scrambled Eggs: sauteed half an onion (minced) and a garlic clove (minced) in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. When those were soft I added a huge handful of spinach (chopped small). After that cooked for a few minutes I added five eggs and some salt and pepper and scrambled.

During the day, a friend of mine brought over a cute St. Patrick's Day treat for me. She found a little plastic black pot from the grocery store and filled it with gold foil wrapped Rolos to look like a leprechaun's pot of gold! With this she added a no pinch sticker.

For dinner, I made corned beef and cabbage, an Irish classic, for the first time. It was really easy because I just stuck everything in the crock pot and let it cook itself all day. To go along with that main dish, I made green sides: pesto covered spinach ravioli and steamed broccoli. And to top it all off, we had green apple Jones soda.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/corned-beef-and-cabbage-with-herb-buttered-potatoes-recipe/index.html

1 comment: